Each student is graded on his/her knowledge of the textbook, classroom theory, and practical/clinic work. Written quizzes are given throughout lessons and written exams are given at the end of each chapter of study and each Phase completion along with a final course exam.
Practical and clinical tasks are evaluated using 5 Phases of Assessment that allow the student to see their progress on each task assignment.
State License preparation consists of administration of 2 Mock State Board Licensing examinations covering both State Regulations, and Principles and Practices of Cosmetology/Esthetics.
There are also 2 practical, hands-on exams given at this time. An overall grade of 75% is required for graduation. All students who successfully complete graduation requirements are issued a Diploma.
||93% - 100%
||85% - 92%
||77% - 84%
||75% - 76%
Each student is graded on his/her theory and practical/clinic work throughout the program.
The following is a guideline for Instructors to follow when calculating/determining the grade.
The number of correct answers is divided by the total number of questions to determine the grade.
Practical and Clinic Work:
The following is an outline sample of the five-step assessment used when grading practical and clinic work:
1. Greeting/Rapport/Preparation: Student comes to class with necessary classroom and clinic supplies, displays professional attitude, participates, and greets clinic customer.
2. Assessment/Consultation: Student consults with instructor and/or client to prepare for practical assignments or client services.
3. Agreement Plan: Student summarizes service decisions by explaining to the instructor implements, products, and procedures they will use. Instructor and client agree.
4. Delivery/Hands-on Performance & People Skills: The student uses correct product applications, maintains safety & sanitation, has proper balance, form, and displays a professional attitude.
5. Completion: record cards, sanitation, time allotment met, etc.